It’s FINALLY here: the release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. As an unabashed Star Wars nerd and fan I’ve anticipated December 18 almost as much as I anticipated the birth of my children. Ok, that’s a bit of an overstatement (but not by much!).
While I won’ dress in costume for the opening show I will be thinking about my favorite characters like Luke, Han and Chewbacca. And how can you think of Star Wars without thinking about Yoda, the greatest Jedi Master in the history of the Galaxy.
One of Yoda’s most endearing traits was his ability to dispense sage wisdom. He often did so with pithy quotes. It turns out that many of Yoda’s favorite sayings actually have marketing wisdom associated with them. In fact, there are several lines from Yoda that every marketer should memorize.
Here are five of my favorite quotes from Yoda and ones that have special meaning for marketers:
- “Do or do not. There is no try.”—When it comes to marketing, it’s not just about planning: it’s about action. So implement your ideas rather than just talk about them. You should not go into a marketing campaign with an attitude that says, “Let’s give this a try.” That attitude is more desperation. So don’t try a branding campaign: do a branding campaign.
- “Patience you must have”—Many marketing efforts are not quick fixes. Effective marketing takes repetition, which of course implies more time. The most successful campaigns (especially with branding) are long-term efforts.
- “You must unlearn what you have learned”—Many of the traditional marketing techniques you learned in college (the 4 Ps, traditional advertising, etc.) no longer work or are no longer applicable. One of the best things you can do as a marketer is to be a life-long learner. I recommend spending a few hours every week reading blogs/business books as well as attending professional conferences on a regular basis.
- “The dark side I sense in you”—Do you ever get challenged and have people belittle marketing? There are probably people (even executives) who do not place a very high value on marketing. If they start to give you a hard time or undermine your efforts, just whip out your best Yoda impersonation and tell them “the dark side I sense in you.” That will put them in their place.
- “Size matters not”—Every marketer wants a larger budget. But the reality is that most marketers have to do more with less these days. Your ideas and strategy matter outweigh how much money you have to spend. Good products and word of mouth trump big budgets every time. You don’t have to outspend your competition when you outthink them.
So there you have it: five Yoda-isms every marketer should memorize. What about you—do you have a favorite Yoda quote you would like to add to the list?
And don’t forget—may the force be with you.